Monday, March 5, 2012

Blog Assignment #6

The very first time I remember using a computer was when I was in 6th grade. I think I was 11 or 12 and it was all very confusing to me. I used to play a game called Doom and Simpson's Doom which was loaded onto 8 floppy discs and had to be run off of ms-dos. I didn't really know what I was doing so I had to have my dad set everything up and I would just play.

This all changed when he installed a CD-ROM drive into his computer. I was very surprise that you could put a disc in to play games instead of the 8 floppy discs. My dad took me to a computer fair and let me choose a game to play on the new drive. I chose NFL Math. I remember this because not only was it my first game on cd-rom but it was my favorite for many years to come. The game consisted of choosing a pass or run on offense and a blitz or normal rush on defense. After choosing the play, you would go to a math quiz section where you had to answer a series of questions. Depending on how you did on the math section, the teams would simulate the play on the field. I loved it because I couldn't get enough of the football game and my dad thought it was great because it helped with my math.

I don't really remember the first time experience with the world wide web. I remember AOL and having to sign up to play SOCOM on the original Playstation. It was $10 a month to play online with other people. This was I guess the first experience with online gaming. It was very slow and lagged a lot so it was not really a good experience with me. I would mostly use my dad's computer to check standings or scores for sports that I could not see at home.

I guess I didn't use the internet heavily until freshmen year of high school with My Space and eventually Facebook showing up. I didn't really understand why I was always on these sites but I was just because it was the way to contact your friends and share stories with them.

My first major mistake on the internet was not realizing that when you put pictures up on My Space or Facebook, it is not private to those you want to see them. I come from a heavily religious background and my family was not too happy to see pictures from the weekend before. I learned quickly that if I was going to post anything, I needed to either block family members or not post them at all.

I think an accomplishment is just being able to figure out most problems I encounter with computer or internet use. I help my family and friends with their problems and haven't really had a bug I couldn't figure out. It is nice to not have to worry about paying ridiculous amounts of money to have someone fix a relatively simple problem.

The PC and internet may not have had the much use in my early days but now, it is a controlling factor in my life. Everything is on my laptop, videos music, school work, home work, everything. I would be lost without the use of a computer and Internet. I basically run all of my entertainment life through my computer and internet. A great example was a couple days ago when I lost power and subsequently the internet. I was so confused at what I should do and I felt a little lost or out of sync. It was very disheartening to realize this but I wasn't going to change my ways. I don't know how I would pass my Spanish classes without the internet because so much of it is based online with assignments and tests.


No comments:

Post a Comment